The vessel will be powered by a revolutionary fuel emulsion, a mixture of diesel, water and emulsifier, that when burnt reduces harmful emissions. Initial testing indicates that the new emulsion could cut particulate matter by 90 per cent and NOX by 60 per cent.
The British company behind the emulsion, Clean Fuel Ltd along with its’ partners have pioneered new technology that shows it is possible to deliver racing speeds and performance while being green.
Clean Fuel produces a stable emulsion by mixing diesel, water and an emulsifying agent together which burns more efficiently and as the water will be drawn from the sea to improve the boat’s range.
The effects of the emulsified fuel on the engines and the emissions will be monitored for the duration of the voyage and the results published by Clean Fuel online in real time.
Other benefits of Clean Fuel's emulsified diesels might include:
• Lowers engine temperature by 6-7 degrees
• Burns more efficiently than regular diesel saving fuel
• Utilises latest emulsifying technology
• Can be run in any diesel engine
• Requires only minor adaptions to fuel system and a water source
• Stable and reliable